About the Trip
07.45 am and 1.45 pm - check-in time is 15 minutes before departure
Alpine Sports @ 39 Shotover Street in the heart of town, opposite Ferg Burger. Meet there 15 minutes prior to your trip departure time.
Duration of trip:
Allow 5 hours
You need to bring:
Swimwear (togs) and towel (its best to wear your swim suit under your clothes)
- Transport from Queenstown into Skippers Canyon and back
- Commentary on the way in and out of Skippers on the myriad of scenic highlights and historical points of interest
- Photo stops (we also offer a wicked photo pack on 2 GB USB stick @ $39, including rafting pics, so you don't have to worry about your camera when you are in the raft).
- Light snacks & refreshments
- Modern rafting equipment
- Helmets, wetsuits or overpants, polar fleeces, spray jackets, life jackets & booties (note: all wetsuits and booties are sterilised after each trip).
The adventure begins...
The drive into Skippers Canyon
The trip kicks off with a 45 minute drive into the famous Skippers Canyon....
The Road through Skippers Canyon is quite possibly the most spectacular drive in New Zealand. This is the start of your adventure, and the views are astounding. Once off the main road and following the old gold mining trail (see history) there are excellent photo opportunities as we make our way further into the backcountry, winding along the cliff face 100m above the Shotover River in places (don’t tell Mum!).
Gearing up to stay warm and safe!
At Family Adventures we kit you out with all the gear you’ll need from the ground up.
Wetsuit boots to protect your feet, wetsuit or overpants, spray jacket with sealed collar and cuffs to help keep the water out, fleece & a buoyancy aid (both warm and great for rapid swims) and finally a helmet to finish off the outfit so you can do this....
(A good tip is to wear your swimsuit under your clothing, it makes getting changed into your wetsuit at our Pipeline base easier and quicker).
And off we go!
We take to the water at the put in point made famous as “The Ford of Bruinen” in the Lord of the Rings and head down the grade 2 rapids.
See gold mining relics and sheer canyon walls as we navigate the Shotover river, with photo stops, rapid swims and rock jumps.
White Water Rafts (Hyside, self bailing, guided)
All equipment is independently audited and meets Maritime New Zealand code of compliance rule 80 part B (a really important rule, in our opinion!)